Saturday, May 31, 2008

The idea of sharing...

It's a rather cheesy topic to talk about but a recent event prompted me to pen this down. Many of you all would know that I do not like to share my things. I like to have my own snacks, my own drinks, my own PC, gadgets and all. The only thing I seem to share is my collection of avi's. Anyway, to cut the long sotry short, I'd like to ask your opinion on sharing based on a scenario I've recently observed.

I recently visited a family whose parents had young children. The kid was playing his own toys all to himself. After a few minutes, another family came to visit. A kid of similar age joined in. The father of the first kid asked that he shared his toys with the new comer. He was a little upset as the other kid does not know what or how it's supposed to be played and end up throwing the toys just to hear and see how the toys react when its thrown. After a couple of times the new kid threw the toys, the parents stopped him and later went home after their visit.

The incident got me thinking. Why risk share something you have set up nicely to someone who don't know what you've been doing? Supposed it's a Lego and you've aseembled yourself an impressive object only to be thrown or torn into pieces? This also raises a question, why is it that when someone visits your place, you are asked to share your toys / PC / things with others? And why is it that when you visit someone's place, you are asked to allow the host to let you play? If i've let them play with my things, why can't I have straight access to other people's stuff too?

Am I to sacrifice the stuff I care to let others play and vandalize it? Am I to let other people take advantage over me? Supposed a really dominating person were to always take advantage of our kind offering to allow them to play something and we wait patiently for our turn but we never get it, what are we to do? Nothing? Are we to do anything to stop them from being like that? Do nice people always finish last by allowing others to domninate and take advantage of us?

Let me know.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting post.

I can relate my childhood with this. As a middle child, I had the oppotunity to get hand-me down toys from my brother and giving my own versions of hand-me downs to my sister.

Thus the issue of sharing stuff among my siblings is not a big issue. However, I can comment that the feeling of holding on to stuff that is initially yours (e.g. books/computer), is indeed strong, as you would obviously want to experience the full extent of that stuff. Having to part with its benefits or at least share its benefits with another would have some cause for hesitation, especially since you do not know the full intent of the other,.. who does anyway?

The point is, we do not know, but that does not cause reasons not to share anything.

I'll leave this note: Just remember that while you may part or share something with someone, you have had in the past shared off someone else who cared. Thus, the ones you share with will be encouraged to share on, and on.

So share or not to share? You pick.

Anonymous said...

Sharing isn't always caring..towards yourself.